A Shade Of Vampire

A Shade Of Vampire - Bella Forrest I received a free copy of this for my kindle after entering a goodreads giveaway. I really wish I could give it a better review but the book just didn't work for me.

I am 99.9% sure that this book did not receive a professional edit prior to print. It's unfortunate because much improvement could be made by just fixing some of the... shall we say awkwardly worded parts of the book?

There were quite a few other things that didn't work for me but here are the two main ones.

First being that the main vampire character is supposed to have been asleep for 500 years, yet he wakes up talking just like any random guy you would meet on the street. No effort is made to distinguish him by action, manor, voice or speech pattern from everybody else. There is even a scene where he meets with another vampire and he is thinking about her cloths being the height of fashion or some such nonsense. Really? The guy's been awake for a week and he's an expert on the latest fashion trends? He didn't have anything better to read up on?

The other being that the main female character seems to have an extreme case of stockholm syndrome. Which wikipedia defines as a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims.

The only character I could sympathise or understand was Ben who behaved in a normal and rational way. I will not be continuing with this series.

As for recommending it; this might be enjoyed by those that enjoyed Twilight? It feels like something similar to that. Happy reading.