The Truth About Love (Cynster, #12)

The Truth About Love (Cynster, #12) - Elizabeth Sastre, Stephanie Laurens Let me first say that I had the unabridged audiobook version of this, which I couldn't find in the goodreads database.

I constantly went back and forth about this book. In the end I settled on a 3 star rating. Stephanie Laurens proficiency in writing is certainly here, as well as a likeable hero and heroine. It also has some lovely descriptive writing about the famous gardens, so why didn't I like it better?

Well, first off every time there was an intimate scene in the book, I fell asleep. I just wasn't feeling it at all. It was one of those stories that felt like they had been put in randomly. They were oddly added in without good build up and messed with the pacing of the book.

The other thing that really bothered me was the idea that guilt or innocence could be proven by a painting. This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read about. I have no idea if this concept has any bearing in historical fact but I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

The book also has a massive amount of contrivances, which probably wouldn't have bothered me so much if not paired with the bad pacing and weird pot. Even with these gripes it's not a terrible story, and I will still be picking up this author's books.