Starve: Volume 1 - Danijel Žeželj, Dave Stewart, Brian Wood

Starve is one of the most unique books I've read recently. It's listed as being dystopian horror; but I didn't find the story to be particularly horrific. It probably does have a certain ick factor for those who are squeamish about animal slaughter. So I guess it's maybe horrific to vegetarians?

Set sometime in the not too distant future the book is about an uber famous chief named Gavin Cruikshank. Apparently at the cusp of his career and in the middle of taping his TV show STARVE, he decides to come out to his wife of like 20 years that he's gay and then takes off halfway around the globe. Years pass and he's living a sort of skeevy life of drug and alcohol addiction when the network finally catches up to him and he's told he has to finish taping the season of STARVE he ran away from. So, Chief Gavin is forced to go back and face the wife and daughter he abandoned; and he also has to deal with the fact that his foodie television program has morphed into a exabitionist, over the top arena show for the super-rich.

Some of the things that go on on the TV show are just nutty. It really reminds me of the type of plots you sometimes see in Japanese manga. I'm trying to come up with a good way to describe it but it's like it takes these mundane events to abnormal extremes. There are weird obsessions and high drama... I really actually thought the story was pretty compelling.

I just can't say that I'm liking the art too much paired with this story. It's very dark and stylised with extremely limited color pallets throughout. The kind of art that pairs best with crime noir and horror comics. I don't hate the art, I just didn't think it suited the story well. Maybe if the book had more horror elements in it? Or if the faces were drawn more expressive?

Extended Review with Pictures:

I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley's Read It Now program in exchange for feedback and a review.