Private Eye Deluxe Edition (The Private Eye) - Brian K. Vaughan

I have some mixed thoughts about this book. On one hand if I was judging this based on some of the sentiments expressed within it I would probably just one star it. It’s mainly the barrage on anti-internet propaganda speech that I found annoying and preachy sounding. I’m considering if it’s intended to be satire, but I just can’t tell. It’s ambiguity and thinking too hard about it made me grumpy. On the other hand the pacing is good, the art sort of grew on me, and otherwise the technical aspects are fairly well done. It’s just the subject matter that I couldn’t entirely get down with.

There is a fair amount of profanity and adult content, but I didn’t feel that it derailed the story. I would consider this one inappropriate for children.

I suppose you could consider this a dystopia; the whole premise of the story is that at some point in the future. The digital "Cloud" bursts and all of society's dirty little secrets come pouring out. What follows is apparently the rise of the tin foil hat society. Oh, the horror! The humanity! Everyone's life is ruined! The internet is EVIL, therefore we must ban it all! We must protect our privacy at all costs. Now we will all wear costumes and create alias to hide behind. It's ridiculous reactionary nonsense, so it's kind of hard for me to get into.

I sort of had to shove logic into the ether and concentrate on the futuristic crime noir aspects. This is the portion of the story that worked for me. A beautiful woman walks into a P.l.'s office. She has a job for him. He reluctantly takes the job but no sooner than he's started she ends up dead. What has the dead woman gotten him into? It has a few nice twists and turns as the P.I. is blackmailed by his client's sister into investigating her death.

A few notes about the artwork. First off they used a wide format for it. It's nice for digital reading but I have no idea how it translated into printed form because of that. Most of the comic is bright, and some of the color combinations took some getting used to. I noted a fair amount of undetailed backgrounds. I didn't like the art at first but warmed up to it... it's hard to describe really. Somewhat cartoony? Slightly cute? I think it works with the story.

Extended Review with Pictures:

I selected this book from NetGalley's Read It Now program in exchange for feedback and a review.