Batman/Superman Vol. 4 - Ardian Syaf, Greg Pak

Batman/Superman, Vol. 4: Siege
by Greg Pak

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Just in time for Christmas! Batman/Superman, Vol. 4: Siege written by Greg Pak and illustrated by Ardian Syaf; collects BATMAN/SUPERMAN #16-20, Superman/Batman Annual #2, and BATMAN/SUPERMAN Futures End #1.

I hugely enjoyed the first part of this book BATMAN/SUPERMAN #16-20; the story starts out as sort of a murder mystery as someone is attacking friends and acquaintances of Superman with some sort of super long range sniper shots. As Batman and Superman start to investigate, Batman likens the unknown assailant to the Joker, because of the unpredictability and cruelty of the attacks. It isn’t long into the investigation before the story takes a crazy turn that had me rubbing my hands together in glee! Tons of great interaction between Batman and Superman in this volume. Supergirl and Lois Lane also feature in this story.

After the main story you have Superman/Batman Annual #2. This is sort of a fall out issue that comes out of the main story. I really can’t say too much about that without spoiling the book but it was a little confusing at first. It’s really not implicitly stated anywhere why the events are happening and who’s causing it but I inferred it from the shape of the word balloons that it’s the same villain as in the first story. It also sort of leaves off in a weird way and I’m not sure if the next issues will pick up at that point or if that was just the end of it. While pretty good it’s probably still the weakest part of the book because it sorta feels like a filler issue.

The last part in the collection is BATMAN/SUPERMAN Futures End #1; which is a time skip several years into the future that shows a world seemingly abandoned by Superman. Batman has damaged his spine and is fighting in a battle suit. It’s a dark and pessimistic story that’s quite a downer after the fun and excitement of the main story.

I have no complaints about any of the art in this volume. The layouts are varied, dynamic, and easy to follow. I love the varied color pallets and detailed background work. First class art all the way.

Batman and Superman investigating the killer.

FromScanner

I too wish to have a tiny city in glass of my very own...  do you think they sell a snowglobe of that?  If not they should.

Image2

From the beginning of the annual,  really liking the art here.

Image3

From the Future's End issue, Batman, being Batman.

Image4

From the Future's End issue...

Image5

I received an advance reader’s copy of this book via NetGalley's read and review program.