Superman/Wonder Woman Vol. 3 (The New 52) - Jaime Mendoza, Peter J. Tomasi, Doug Mahnke

Superman/Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: Casualties of WarSuperman/Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: Casualties of War by Peter J. Tomasi

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Superman/Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: Casualties of War by Peter J. Tomasi, Doug Mahnke (Illustrations), Jaime Mendoza (Illustrations)begins with a flashback to Wonder Woman and Superman’s first meeting in the pages of Justice League, then slips into the present time as Clark is attempting to create a written memorial to those that they were not able to save. Clark's endeavors are cut short by Diana though as it’s date night and she wants to get a move on.

In typical superhero fashion, date night doesn’t even really get started because they are pulled away to an emergency and there they encounter an unknown metahuman calling himself Wonderstar. Who is he, and what is his ultimate purpose? Follow Superman and Wonder Woman’s adventure as they unravel the history of Wonderstar. Features a New 52 Origin Story from a character probably best remembered from the pages of Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross.

I feel like the story aspects of this volume are it’s biggest selling points. It contains a complete story with a clear beginning and end, making this a good jumping on point, or gift volume for the approaching holiday season. Peter J. Tomasi’s story is a solid read, and explores the theme of superheros seeing past the big picture to how their actions might have impacts on individual lives. I would like to say a little more but I can’t without giving away the mystery of the story and spoiling it for you.

I’m somewhat torn about the artwork. The illustrations are dynamic, vibrantly colored, and have good overall composition; but those with a discerning eye will note weaknesses in the facial work. This can sometimes be off-putting as we have a tendency to first look at characters facial expressions before we notice the larger aspects of the artwork. More attention should have been given to maintaining a congruent look throughout the panels. So, I can’t in honesty say it’s all good, but it’s far, far from being all bad.

The first page of the story is action packed:

Image1

Wonder Woman being modest about her fight prowess.

Image2

The date night that wasn't.  If you look at the panels of Diana's face here you will see some of the facial inconsistencies I referenced.  Note the distance between her hairline and brow line is different in each panel, causing it to look skewered?

Image4

And here is Wonderstar.  I like the costume and the matching metallic highlights in his hair.

Image3

I received a review copy of this work via NetGalley.