Side-Kicked - Russell Brettholtz, Miguel Mendonca, Miguel Mendonca

Side-KickedSide-Kicked by Russell Brettholtz

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I obtained a copy of Side-Kicked by Russell Brettholtz via NetGalley’s Read It Now section in exchange for feedback and a review.

First off this is a imprint and publishing house I wasn’t previously aware of but it has a web page listed in the back of the book that you can check out at: http://www.darbypop.com/

This story deals with a group of sidekicks who are a bit disgruntled at the way they are being treated by their crime fighting partners and the general public. So they decide to go on strike to teach them all a lesson about how much they actually contribute. It’s an interesting premise and executed in a fairly concise story, however I think it would have been even better if they had told us more about each of the heroes and their relationships with the different side kicks. This story could easily have been fleshed out into a book twice this length, explored more of personal lives of the side kicks, and delved a bit more into the moral aspects of their decision.

Overall, I liked it a lot, the art was also pretty solid, and I especially liked some of the character’s costume designs. Recommend if you like independent, stand alone stories.

The ringleaders of the strike movement they have bios in the back of the book that explain their origins  and powers a little bit.

Image1

Here's a panel worth of comic gold:

Image3

The lair of Flying Fox; because no independent comic is complete without a Batman parody of it's very own.

Image2

We aren't "Henchman"! or if you prefer, Villains have sidekicks too!

Image4