George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard Call - George R.R. Martin, Daniel Abraham, Eric Battle

George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard CallGeorge R.R. Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard Call by Daniel Abraham My rating: 4 of 5 stars I actually ended up really enjoying this book even though I haven't finished Wild Cards. One of the characters who features heavily in this story is Croyd Crenson a.k.a The Sleeper, who's origin story is detailed in the first Wild Cards book.

Briefly, the setup for the story is that a display of Jet Boy's clothing is at a school science fair and when the casing gets broken it causes an outbreak of the Wild Cards Virus in the school. I really enjoyed the story a lot but some of the artwork wasn't as defined as it could have been. There were of course a lot of ugly mutant looking Jokers in this, but only few of them had any time taken on drawing them. It's kinda like the artist was like, they are ugly anyway so why should I bother drawing them well?

Recommended if you like the anthology series.

Here are two examples of artwork from the book, which kind of seems to have high and low points.  I think a really good colorist saved a lot of these panels.  I don't think it's terrible, I just don't think all of it is of the same quality. Image4 Image5