Green Arrow, Vol. 4: The Kill Machine - Andrea Sorrentino, Jeff Lemire

Finally! Finally a good story. The first three volumes were pretty god awful, but they finally seem to be turning it around on the Green Arrow title. Personally, my opinion is that you could just do yourself a favor and skip right to this volume if you were looking for a jumping on place.

This collects issues of Green Arrow #17-24 and Count Vertigo #23.1; so this is a bit longer than the previous volumes. I rated this 4 stars by splitting the difference on 5 stars for the story and 3 stars for the art.

This storyline brings back the feeling of grimmer street level crime more reminiscent of early 1980’s Green Arrow and mixes it with mysticism. We are finally beginning to see a personality emerging for the new 52’s Ollie and it’s a lot easier to care what happens to the guy now. A LOT of characters are brought into this storyline Shado, Richard Dragon, and Count Vertigo are just a few.

The art is kind of an acquired taste. It’s very stylized and a lot of it is colored in very limited pallets. This often gives it a very dreary feeling altogether, but I wouldn’t say it’s unsuitable for the story being told. When it works, it really works, and I thought some of the layouts when he fights Count Vertigo were really cool.

Altogether recommended.