Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Casey & April

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Casey & April - Irene Koh, Irene Koh, Mariko Tamaki

I obtained an advance reader copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Casey & April by Mariko Tamaki from netgalley.com for the purpose of reading for review and feedback. I was not specifically selected for reading this title by either Diamond Book Distributors or IDW as this book was available under the Read Now titles available to all reviewers. What follows are only my own opinions.

The art is nice but unsophisticated. The layouts are uncomplicated and straightforward, often lacking in detailed backgrounds, and simple gradients are used instead. I suppose I might best describe it as being pretty or somewhat cute artwork. Surprisingly this cover art is the same as the art inside the book so you can immediately see a sample for yourself.

As we get to the story aspects first let me state that I recently purchased and read Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Vol. 1: Change is Constant by Kevin Eastman; and outside of watching the movies and occasionally the cartoon that is the extent of my TMNT knowledge.

As Casey states near the front of the story they are on some sort of road trip mission to “Track down evidence of warring immortal creatures who disappeared ages ago?” Aanndd that is about all the set up you get, so I'm pretty sure I might not have caught all of the nuances of this story because it must build on something that happened in the main title that I haven't read yet.

Almost from the get go Casey and April start taking passive aggressive pot shots at each other, and my bad breakup ahead warning signals started flashing. The two of them press on occasionally bonding until April runs into this strange old mans truck and is convinced to go run an errand for him in the desert while Casey goes to investigate another place... it gets a little weird from that point on.

I think the whole story is supposed to be some sort of allegory about Casey and April's dysfunctional relationship and daddy issues but I'm not sure. I'm not even sure if Casey and April even honestly like each other by the end of the book. My bad breakup ahead warning lights were still going off.

In fact the book ends in such a cryptic way that I was left with an unsatisfied feeling; however it was also interesting enough to make me want to know what happened next so it was successful if that was the plan. I'm probably going to start getting more books in this series.