The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton I'm going to admit I wasn't feeling too much love for this until towards the end, when the author finally brought her A-Game. The story has some interesting paranormal elements and I'm interested now in picking up the second book. I wouldn't have said that until I was about 80% finished with the book though.

Problems with the story for me were cliché, and cliché. For a bit I was feeling like this should have been titled Not Another Young Adult Novel. Adam's back story was the biggest glare. Get this, he's a poor white kid who lives in a trailer park and his dad beats him regularly. This kind of made my teeth hurt from all the jaw clenching. Falling back to this type of stereotype is lazy and disappointing.

Two, I have no patience for the trope called mother's who withhold who their child's father's are. Having seen this scenario play out in real life, the author clearly has no idea how this truly affects a person. Try googling it, and read some real life stories if you can't understand.

I'm going to try to keep an open mind for the next book because the story was headed in the right direction at the end of this book, and I still thought it was mostly good.